Sunday 9 August 2020

3 Mile Circular Walk - Oakworth Moor





Distance: 3.1 miles


Ascent: 220 ft


Walking: Andrew


Weather: Cloudy, warm


OS Map: OL21 - South Pennines


Parking: Harehills Lane, Oldfield


Photography: Andrew using Nikon D610 / Nikon 24-70 mm f2.8


A short walk on Oakworth Moor when the heather was in flower.


Parking at the small rough parking area off Harehills Lane, I headed the short distance up the nearby track onto the moor, where the beautiful sea of heather was in full bloom. 

Joining The Millennium Way footpath, I headed in the direction of Keighley Moor Reservoir, taking in the views across to Ponden Clough and Top Withens to my left. 

On reaching a gap in the dry stone wall I'd been following for a while, I turned onto another path which passed by a line of grouse shooting butts on the gentle slope of Roms Greave Hill, at the top of which the view almost became 360 degree panoramic. 

Continuing down the hill, the path eventually reached the end of Broad Head Lane, which I followed until it reached Broad Head Height, where I turned onto another narrow lane. This took me up the hill alongside Nook Allotment, past Tewitt Hall Farm and out onto Tewitt Lane (actually another rough track). From here, the final leg of the walk took me past the memorial to the six Canadian crew members who were killed in 1944 when their Wellington bomber crashed into the hillside in fog. More information about this HERE.























 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment

9 Mile Circular Walk - Stanbury | Top Withens | Oxenhope Stoop Hill | Top Of Stairs | Leeshaw Reservoir

Distance:  9 miles Ascent:  1400   ft Walking:  Andrew Weather: Frosty & sunny OS Map:  OL21 - South Pennines Starting point:  Bully Tre...